• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 AlanB

AlanB

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 2166 posts

Posted 25 December 2003 - 12:59 PM

Any general questions regarding the Mileage Tally can be posted in this topic. Should you have a question concerning a specific mileage report that you've made, please feel free to post it either here or in the topic where you reported it.
Alan,

Take care and take trains!

#2 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 30 December 2003 - 09:14 PM

The question came up during our most recent Sunday Chat regarding an AMTRAK trip that might be in progress over New Years Eve, and thus the passenger would arrive at their destination on January 1st.

The trip has to originate during the year 2004 to be eligible for the 2004 tally. Thus if you were to take AMTRAK to and from New York City to see the ball drop at Times Square, only your return trip (after midnight) would qualify.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#3 Amfleet

Amfleet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 03:54 PM

The question came up during our most recent Sunday Chat regarding an AMTRAK trip that might be in progress over New Years Eve, and thus the passenger would arrive at their destination on January 1st.

The trip has to originate during the year 2004 to be eligible for the 2004 tally. Thus if you were to take AMTRAK to and from New York City to see the ball drop at Times Square, only your return trip (after midnight) would qualify.

Though this does not apply to me. What if one was en-route, lets say on the Silver Meteor from New York to Miami, New Years eve. How would this be acuratly recored?

#4 AlanB

AlanB

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 2166 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 06:19 PM

The trip has to originate during the year 2004 to be eligible for the 2004 tally.  Thus if you were to take AMTRAK to and from New York City to see the ball drop at Times Square, only your return trip (after midnight) would qualify.

Though this does not apply to me. What if one was en-route, lets say on the Silver Meteor from New York to Miami, New Years eve. How would this be acuratly recored?

You would not be able to report your miles for this 2004 tally.

As Kevin stated your trip must start on or after 12:00 AM January 1st, 2004 to be eligible for this years tally. So if you boarded the Meteor in Florida on 12/31/03, you would not be able to report your miles. However if you boarded that same Meteor that departed Miami on 12/31/03 in Rocky Mount, NC, your trip would now be originating at 1:01 AM 1/1/04 (assuming that the train was running on time) and you would be able to have your miles recorded.

The bottom line here is if you were already on a train as the clock stuck midnight on New Years Eve, then you cannot report your mileage. You must have boarded the train at some point after midnight for your miles to be eligible.

Now let's take this one step further and talk about the future and the end of 2004. In that case, someone boarding the Meteor in Florida on 12/31/2004 would be able to report the total miles for our 2004 tally. They would not however be able to report any miles for the 2005 tally (assuming that we have one).
Alan,

#5 Amfleet

Amfleet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 07:17 PM

The trip has to originate during the year 2004 to be eligible for the 2004 tally.   Thus if you were to take AMTRAK to and from New York City to see the ball drop at Times Square, only your return trip (after midnight) would qualify.

You would not be able to report your miles for this 2004 tally.

As Kevin stated your trip must start on or after 12:00 AM January 1st, 2004 to be eligible for this years tally. So if you boarded the Meteor in Florida on 12/31/03, you would not be able to report your miles. However if you boarded that same Meteor that departed Miami on 12/31/03 in Rocky Mount, NC, your trip would now be originating at 1:01 AM 1/1/04 (assuming that the train was running on time) and you would be able to have your miles recorded.

The bottom line here is if you were already on a train as the clock stuck midnight on New Years Eve, then you cannot report your mileage. You must have boarded the train at some point after midnight for your miles to be eligible.

Now let's take this one step further and talk about the future and the end of 2004. In that case, someone boarding the Meteor in Florida on 12/31/2004 would be able to report the total miles for our 2004 tally. They would not however be able to report any miles for the 2005 tally (assuming that we have one).

Getting even more technical, what if I departed on the Silver Meteor from New York on 12/31/04 and were to arrive in Miami on 1/1/05. Could I put the mileage from New York to Rocky Mount on the 2004 tally and then mileage from Rocky Mount to Miami on the 2005 tally? Or since I'm departing on the 12/31/04 the entire mileage would just be added to my 2004 tally?

#6 AlanB

AlanB

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 2166 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 09:20 PM

I don't know how to be more clear about this, but once again. If your trip does not start within the year in question, then you cannot report any miles for that year. A trip on one train cannot be split up between two years and it's total mileage can only be reported in the tally for the year that you boarded that train.
Alan,

#7 RailHaRRy

RailHaRRy

OTOL Leader

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1361 posts
  • Interests:Trains, computers, CRPG

Posted 14 January 2004 - 11:21 PM

Strangely, in doing this on Prodigy for several years, this question never came up. Perhaps no one took a trip over New Years Eve and Day -- or perhaps my memory is failing.

Anyway, my take on it is that if a SEGMENT of a trip (a specific train # listed on tickets or an itinerary) begins in 2003, and ends in 2004 -- that SEGMENT is not reportable. But if an additional segment (new train by number) begins in 2004 it IS reportable.

So, for example I might have left on 12/31 on the Sunset Limited and traveled to NOL arriving 1/2. Not counted. But then I might have continued from there on 1/3 on (say) the Crescent and that would be counted (not the same train #).

Conversely, next December I might start the trip on 12/31/04, and then the Sunset Limited mileage to NOL would be counted. What goes around, comes around. :)

But basically let's hope this stuff never comes up again!
Regards, HaRRy, San Diego
Visit our On Track On Line web site

#8 ChrisPRR

ChrisPRR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 February 2004 - 12:18 AM

Alan, In reading through the rules, commuter trips don't count towards the mileage--and understably so!-- But are, for instance, short trips on Amtrak Regional/Keystone service consdidered commuter mileage? Being a 'new participant' I'm just trying to get the hang of it. Thanks! Chris

#9 AlanB

AlanB

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 2166 posts

Posted 04 February 2004 - 12:05 PM

Alan,

In reading through the rules, commuter trips don't count towards the mileage--and understably so!-- But are, for instance, short trips on Amtrak Regional/Keystone service consdidered commuter mileage? Being a 'new participant' I'm just trying to get the hang of it.

Thanks!

Chris

Chris,

As long as it is a regularly scheduled Amtrak train, then your mileage counts. Kevin Korell often finds himself riding Amtrak Trenton to Philly or Metro Park to NY. Those trips would indeed qualify for inclusion in the count, even if they don't earn him very many miles. The same would also be true for say a short ride from Philly to Ardmore.

Also, while in reality the Clockers are mostly a commuter service, at present they are still Amtrak trains and therefore would qualify for inclusion. Once New Jersey Transit fully takes over the Clocker service in either 2005 or 2006, then a ride on a Clocker (if they even still call it that) would not qualify.
Alan,

#10 BillMagee

BillMagee

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 5361 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Rail, Aviation, Sports

Posted 02 March 2004 - 09:36 PM

Alan: Will there be a periodic posting of the year to date tally? Bill

0 user(s) are reading this topic