#1 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82603 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 04 March 2011 - 02:29 PM

Still lacking from my package of information on the SERF event is scanner frequencies. I don't have the time to do this research, and selfishly it's of no interest to me. With a 25-pound suitcase, 10-pound laptop, and 8-pound bag, and a total 102 years in my legs, I don't need the extra weight of a scanner and its charger along for the ride when so many others on the trips bring them. Obviously we already have information for the Amtrak trains we will be using, thanks to our OTOL static site. One can deduce that area freight rail action on the same lines would be on the same frequencies. As of now, there's 9 of you and one of me. So if anyone wishes to do the homework and find out the radio frequencies used by MARTA heavy rail in Atlanta, NORTA streetcars in New Orleans, and MATA trolleys in Memphis, I would be more than happy to publish it on my site along with the other information, and keep it as part of the online knowledge base going forward.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#2 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82603 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 09:45 AM

Haven't heard yet from anyone on this. It's for the benefit of all participants. If nobody steps up to the plate within a week, I'll consider the matter closed, I'll delete the placeholders from my site, and those who really want the information can research it on their own.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#3 AlanB

AlanB

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 2166 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 07:39 PM

Kevin,

It seems that MARTA is a partially Talkgroup system that would require newer scanners that can handle that, as well as trunked systems. However, it also appears that they're still partially an analog system too. Bottom line is that if you have a newer scanner, you'll probably have an easier time of getting things, but even those with older scanners can still get something.

To that end, here are the more tranditional analog frequencies. Sorry, but I don't know which ones are rail and which are bus. 868.35000, 868.51250, 868.65000, 868.82500.

For those with newer scanners, here's the info:

Decimal Hex
2352  093  A  Yard Control Yard Control  
2416  097  A  N/S Trains North/South Line Trains  
2448  099  A  E/W Trains East/West Line Trains

For New Orleans we seem to have a similar situation to MARTA.

Base frequencies are 859.21250, 859.43750, 860.21250, 860.43750. Again, no idea as to which are bus vs. rail.

Decimal Hex
33232  81d	Street Car 1 
33264  81f	Street Car 2

Information for Memphis is more limited, but I did find the following.

458.22500, 458.27500, 458.32500, 458.37500, 458.47500, 458.72500.

But here is have no idea if they have talkgroups or not.
Alan,

Take care and take trains!

#4 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82603 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 12:00 AM

So as we approach the 2-month warning before we leave for Atlanta, I first thank Alan for researching and provding this information. Will it help most of you, or might it pay to leave your scanner home if it won't pick up talk groups? Of course there is the known factor, that which you will follow when aboard or near Amtrak or the freight lines they run on. Shall I go ahead and try to make a page based on this information?

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users