#1 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82539 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 03 May 2016 - 06:05 PM

This thread is for discussion of dinner plans for Sunday, July 17th in Los Angeles.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#2 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 07:21 PM

I will need help with finding restaurants in Los Angeles.  Looking around Union Station, most restaurants seem to be Chinese, and not everyone eats Chinese food.   Going further away from the station and close to transit, there are a lot of Mexican and Japanese restaurants.  Not everyone eats Mexican and Japanese.

I will start somewhere and solicit the help from Steve and any others who know more about L.A. than I do.

There is an Italian Restaurant 2 blocks from 7th Street/Metro Center, that appears to be open for Sunday dinner: Bottega Louie
From Website:  http://www.bottegalouie.com/menu
Yelp: http://www.yelp.com/...uie-los-angeles

A little further from transit (3 blocks from what I think is a light rail stop in LIttle Tokyo or a longer walk from Union Station) is Justice Urban Tavern**, which is also open for Sunday dinner
Yelp:  http://www.yelp.com/...ern-los-angeles

For low cost sandwiches, Philippes is walking distance from Union Station.  More known for breakfasts, it is also open Sunday evenings.
http://www.yelp.com/...nal-los-angeles

**Edit to add that Justice Urban Tavern is located in the Doubletree Hotel (which I have learned is .5 miles from Union Station).

Edited by KevinKorell, 03 May 2016 - 07:57 PM.
Added website for Philippe's

#3 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82539 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 07:43 PM

Little Tokyo/Arts District is next station on the Gold Line LRT below Union Station, in the direction of East L.A.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#4 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 12:30 PM

Penny, this is a good start.  It is especially helpful to post the links to yelp reviews and restaurant websites because then people can peruse menus as well as look at reviews.  I enjoy the pictures of food too. The menu for Justice Urban tavern is outstanding.  Lots of variety. 

I just looked at Kevin's Itinerary and one issue we may run into is how to fill time after we return from Santa Monica.  The schedule calls for us leaving 7th street metro center at 11:37 a.m.  Assuming the ride to Santa Monica is about 1 hour (which is predicted in the study for the line to Santa Monica) we will arrive about 12: 30.  Lunch would be from 12:45 to 1:45 p.m.  Riding directly back into LA would bring us back to 7th street metro center about 3 p.m.  This is too early for dinner at this point. 

Maybe we spend more time walking around the pier in Santa Monica and playing tourist, or we could take a round trip on the blue line to Long beach as filler.  Or a round trip on a commuter train.  If we scheduled dinner for 6:45 p.m. to 7 p.m. at Justice Urban tavern this might be an ideal location that is relatively centrally located. 

Edited by steve4031, 04 May 2016 - 12:42 PM.

#5 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82539 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 12:49 PM

My itinerary does not yet include times for Santa Monica, because those times are not yet known.  Depending on that, the Gold Line trips may be juggled as well.  In a couple of weeks close to the Phase 2 opening of the Expo Line to Santa Monica, more will come into focus.  I have no problem allocating 2 hours or even more for lunch in Santa Monica, perhaps even walking on the beach or the Pier. It would sort of complete the beach and Coney Island visit from January of this year.   The Blue Line to Long Beach is a long trip, but true it is the only other light rail line downtown that runs outdoors with any type of view.  The heavy rail Red & Purple Lines are totally underground.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#6 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 02:47 PM

Kevin's itinerary has us returning to Union station at 5:34 p.m.  This is perfect timing for dinner at the restaurant in the Double tree.  I believe 6 p.m. would be early enough to make a group reservation without getting caught up in the  dinner rush that starts up at 7 p.m. 

This would be a Sunday. One concern would be anybody who is staying at a hotel along a metro link commuter route.  The service is limited along these routes on Sundays. 

#7 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82539 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 04:44 PM

Some Metrolink routes don't run at all on weekends.  Definitely something one has to consider when making hotel reservations.  Mine is at least near light rail that runs every 7-1/2 minutes most of the day even on weekends.  That said, dinner at a hotel restaurant would work for me, since some are staying at that hotel and also since it's near the Gold Line I need to get back to my lodging.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#8 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 04:53 PM

Kevin's itinerary has us returning to Union station at 5:34 p.m.  This is perfect timing for dinner at the restaurant in the Double tree.  I believe 6 p.m. would be early enough to make a group reservation without getting caught up in the  dinner rush that starts up at 7 p.m. 

This would be a Sunday. One concern would be anybody who is staying at a hotel along a metro link commuter route.  The service is limited along these routes on Sundays. 

Steve, is it too soon to make a reservation for 9 people at 6pm at the Justice Urban Tavern?

#9 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 07:38 PM

We can always try. If they don't accept reservations than we know.

I just looked at the weekend metro link trip from union stationto Fullerton. The last train is 7:15 pm. I think Mike and I would use Amtrak to get back to Fullerton that night.

#10 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 08:04 PM

We can always try. If they don't accept reservations than we know.

I made an on-line reservation for 9 people at 6pm, with the caveat that the number of guests may change. I also mentioned that we require separate checks. I will call and confirm at a later date.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users