#1 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 18 March 2005 - 01:32 AM

Let's have a little fun and try to come up with a name for our summer rail fest. The name has to have RailFest at the end so we can distinguish it from other non-rail events that might have similar names (and so people will have an easier time finding stuff about our fest in the search engines!).

I have already begun creating some web pages (particularly the itinerary and the food places) for this fest, but I want to settle on a name soon before there is too much to change.

"Dallas RailFest" sounds OK, but keep in mind that we will be doing some "official" riding on Amtrak to get to and from there, as well as METRA (possibly CTA too) in Chicago and Metro St. Louis in St. Louis.

So preferrably, we need something that encompasses the middle part of the country, over an imaginary line that roughly follows the route of the TEXAS EAGLE.

Some ideas to start with:
  • Mid-America RailFest
  • CSD or CSLD RailFest (Chicago-St. Louis-Dallas)
  • TEXAS EAGLE RailFest
Try to think of others and post them here. If you are attending the fest in Philadelphia this weekend, bring your ideas there too. As you know one obligatory thing we must do at each fest is to discuss the next ones! :D

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#2 jis

jis

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1753 posts

Posted 27 March 2005 - 01:49 PM

How about naming this fest in memory of a long departed Amtrak train "the Lone Star Fest"? Connected Chicago with Dallas and beyond, but I guess it missed St. Louis, and of course Texas is the "Lone Star State" too.

#3 RailHaRRy

RailHaRRy

OTOL Leader

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1361 posts
  • Interests:Trains, computers, CRPG

Posted 30 March 2005 - 04:38 PM

My initial reaction was: "Eagle Fest" But I like "Lone Star Fest" also. However, I won't be there so I really don't get a vote!
Regards, HaRRy, San Diego
Visit our On Track On Line web site

#4 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 02:03 AM

This exercise in naming the fest is open to anyone with a good idea, whether you plan to attend or not. The Fests are very much a part of the regular activities that all of us members are involved with, although some just by reading the reports and traveling vacariously with us when we take our trips.

So far the leading candidate seems to be Eagle RailFest (with the word "Texas" preceeding it not necessary). We will be in a total of 12 states plus the District of Columbia, and only 4 of those 12 states will be along the route of the TEXAS EAGLE.

The Eagle is our national bird, so it symbolizes the travels we will be doing through much of the eastern half of the country. The three cities to visit along the route of the train called the TEXAS EAGLE are tied together by that train.

Mid-America RailFest sounds great too, however it really fits the St. Louis area more than the others. Chicago is condidered the Midwest, and most of Texas is considered to be in the Southwest.

But keep on submitting your suggestions. I will make a final decision on the name in mid-April.

And by the way, the web pages for this fest, still with the working but temporary name "Dallas RailFest 2005", have been greatly enhanced. Now available via the homepage are hotel listings for Chicago and Dallas, restaurant listings for Chicago, St. Louis and Dallas, and listings of transit and commuter lines in all three cities. Soon to come are the costs pages and scanner frequencies pages for each city.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#5 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 02:08 AM

When the new name is announced later this month, the web pages (and corresponding URL's) will be changed to reflect the new name. Please keep in mind that you will have to go to the new location and bookmark your favorite fest pages all over again. Costs pages have now been completed for our July Fest. Also, the menu on the homepage was split up into separate tables for Chicago, St. Louis, and Dallas in preparation for the rename. I also added information about the Gateway Arch (which we will visit while in St. Louis) and the Reunion Tower (which is near Dallas Union Station).

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#6 Jack615

Jack615

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 12:45 PM

Hey what about Frontier Rail fest 05, or Middle of America rail fest? Jack

Edited by Jack615, 02 April 2005 - 12:46 PM.

Jack Suslak

Bluffton SC

Boston Celtics
NBA Champs 2008

Boston Bruins 

NHL Champs 2011

Boston Red Sox
World Series Champs 2004, 2007, 2013, 2018

New England Patriots

Super Bowl Champs 2002, 2004, 2005, 2015, 2017

#7 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 08:53 PM

Everyone please keep those ideas coming. I hope to announce the winning name on the Chat session on April 17th, and will then post it here that Sunday night or the following Monday morning. Remember, I will take suggestions from people who have no intention of participating in the fest.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#8 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 06:12 AM

Everyone please keep those ideas coming.  I hope to announce the winning name on the Chat session on April 17th, and will then post it here that Sunday night or the following Monday morning.

Well, health reasons prevented both from taking place, but the deed is now done. The new name and links are located here.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users