#1 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82937 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:55 PM

We'll just call this one "Florida", since we have different destinations and origins within the state, namely Jacksonville, Winter Park, Orlando, and even Tampa. Obviously except for the Jacksonville Skyway for those turning at JAX, it is probably off topic. But you've been warned. :blink:

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#2 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82937 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:39 PM

Those of us in Jacksonville are just having a rip roaring time. We did the bus downtown and remained onward to a mall east of the city, in order to look for a replacement cell phone charger (inadvertently left home by me). The mall looked deserted, but we walked to a Best Buy up the street. Then after returning downtown we rode 1 full branch of the Skyway to Convention Center, went to lunch at the Jacksonville Landing, got bored with that, and then continued onward on the other branch of the Skyway to the Southbank. We're now in a hotel lobby while Steve freshens up from his 2 days on the rails, will have dinner in the area, and then eventually return to the Amtrak station by bus. Oh and the charger I bought doesn't work, so my phone access is limited.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#3 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:58 PM

I hope this is not off topic.... I met Alan and Grace at the Winter Park Station. I pulled up to the station parking lot at the exact time that 97 was pulling in. The dining car crew did not do a good job getting them fed before their few minute late arrival in WPK, so they got their lunch to go and ate at the station. After lunch, we...... (off topic). Alan and Grace are now in the vicinity of the WPK station and I am in the process of getting ready to get to the Orlando station (where I will meet up with the Joes). So far, it looks like 92 is running ok. Bill has promised to text me when he boards in Tampa.

#4 EdFindlay

EdFindlay

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Trains, Trains

Posted 15 July 2013 - 05:11 PM

I split off from the group while they were at the hotel to pursue my own hobbies. I got a close look at the old Jacksonville Union Station, and got caught in the flash showers that have hit a half dozen times in the short period we have been in the city.

#5 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 05:40 PM

I am sitting in the ORL station waiting for 92, which appears to be running close to on-time. :-)

#6 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:00 PM

Alan, Bill, Grace, Joe, Joe and Penny are all on 92. We had dinner together, using 2 tables across from each other. The joes had already eaten, but they joined us either for drinks and/or dessert. Those of us that ate, had tilapia. We are looking forward to meeting up with the rest of the group in JAX. We already warned our SCA.

#7 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1516 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:09 PM

I enjoyed my 3 hour nap and hgi shower. Expensive for the time spent there, but I still earned double hilton points and 500 agr points. We had an excellent dinner at hgi. Took skyway and k2 bus back to Amtrak station.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users