#1 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 27 October 2003 - 12:06 AM

Michael and I are taking an Acela Express round trip to Boston in November, and to make our trip worthwhile, we decided to get together with our Boston area-based members and do a little "T"-riding. While it will not by any means be anything like the Boston "T" Party 2002 RailFest we had last year, we will ride several lines that we did not do at that event. So far, it looks like this: Friday 11/7: We arrive in Boston South Station on Acela Express #2152. Make our way to North Station after storing our luggage. We will then take a round trip to Fitchburg out of North Station. The train leaves North Station 1:20 PM, and we get back there at 4:29 PM. Then Michael and I will leave the group and visit friends in Brookline. Others are free to do as they please, perhaps more riding on the "T". Saturday 11/8: So far we've agreed that we will take the first train of the morning between North Station and Newburyport, leaving at 9:30 AM. This round trip arrives back at North Station at 11:49 AM. After lunch, we most likely will ride the Green Line "B" route over Commonwealth Avenue to Boston College and back, since we missed it at the 2002 Fest. Then we will do one of the Old Colony Lines. That should wrap up our day, since it gets dark earlier now. Sunday 11/9: We will depart Boston on Acela Express #2253 at 11 AM. No railfanning planned, just riding the rails from our hotel to South Station. Where we end up staying in the Boston area has not yet been determined, but it will most likely be near public transportation, rails preferred. So far, we know that Jack Suslak, Ed Findlay, Skip Howard, Lyle McBride, and Alan Burden will be joining us for at least part of one or both of our 2 days in town. And that's about it. Want to join us? E-mail me and let me know you are coming. As I said this is an informal gathering. So there will be no route guides, no printed itineraries, just taking it easy riding the rails.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#2 RailHaRRy

RailHaRRy

OTOL Leader

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1361 posts
  • Interests:Trains, computers, CRPG

Posted 27 October 2003 - 04:36 PM

It may be "informal" but I'm betting we'll see a full scale trip report somewhere down the line. :D Have fun! Wish I could join you.
Regards, HaRRy, San Diego
Visit our On Track On Line web site

#3 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 04 November 2003 - 11:15 PM

Saturday 11/8:  So far we've agreed that we will take the first train of the morning between North Station and Newburyport, leaving at 9:30 AM.  This round trip arrives back at North Station at 11:49 AM.  After lunch, we most likely will ride the Green Line "B" route over Commonwealth Avenue to Boston College and back, since we missed it at the 2002 Fest.  Then we will do one of the Old Colony Lines.  That should wrap up our day, since it gets dark earlier now.

Slight revision to the above:

With regard to the Old Colony Lines, I have had two votes for Plymouth, zero votes for Kingston, and zero votes for the Middleborough-Lakeville Line. I'll accept that as a mandate that we will do the Plymouth branch of the Plymouth/Kingston Line, whose endpoint is by far the most railfan-friendly.

What this means is that after arriving back at North Station at 11:49 AM from Newburyport, we will make our way directly to South Station. We will have to grab lunch there quickly, possibly even bringing it on the train if time does not allow us to eat in the station's food court.

The train to Plymouth departs South Station at 12:40 PM, and gets to Plymouth at 1:35 PM. There is only 25 minutes layover time there, during which one could possibly run into the Walmart, which I am told also has a McDonald's inside.

The same equipment departs Plymouth at 2:00 PM for the return trip. Note that the next train departs Plymouth at 7:05 PM, so please don't get caught on a line at Walmart! Five hours is a long time. Our train gets back to South Station at 2:57 PM.

Then we will go hit the Green Line to Boston College, making that our last run of the day.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#4 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 07 November 2003 - 08:12 AM

Hello from the Club Acela in New York City's Penn Station!! We are on the first leg of our trip to the Boston Mini-Fest. I just upgraded our Acela Express Business Class tickets to First Class using my Select membership. Alan will be here shortly too.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#5 RailHaRRy

RailHaRRy

OTOL Leader

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1361 posts
  • Interests:Trains, computers, CRPG

Posted 07 November 2003 - 04:18 PM

Have fun guys! Sure do wish I could be there... :(
Regards, HaRRy, San Diego
Visit our On Track On Line web site

#6 EdFindlay

EdFindlay

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Trains, Trains

Posted 07 November 2003 - 06:19 PM

Well due to Amtrak trouble Kevin, Allen, and Michael missed the Fitchburg trip. Jack Suslak and myself went anyway. Kevin and company decided to ride one of the Old Colony lines, probably the Middleborough line. While on the Fitchburg Line Jack and I got to see a crew change a mile from the station, see a freight train follow close behind us, and watched a freight move up close. It was a great trip! I hope tomorrow goes off without any trouble.

#7 Jack615

Jack615

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 07 November 2003 - 06:42 PM

Well I also have made it back home from the day on the Eastern Line and the Fitchburg Line. It was great to finally to make it back on to a train. As Ed said Kevin, Michael, and Alan couldnt make it to North Station due to a wire down probably in CT and as a result they were an hour late. They met up with Skip and Lyle and took the Middleboro Line and then the likely split up after getting to South Station. So thats it for day 1. Looking forward to seeing Alan and the Korell's tomorrow on the Newburyport Line. Jack

Jack Suslak

Bluffton SC

Boston Celtics
NBA Champs 2008

Boston Bruins 

NHL Champs 2011

Boston Red Sox
World Series Champs 2004, 2007, 2013, 2018

New England Patriots

Super Bowl Champs 2002, 2004, 2005, 2015, 2017

#8 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 09 November 2003 - 12:05 PM

Well, on Saturday everything went according to plan. We even met a new railfan from the Boston area who joined us for the Newburyport turn.

We're in the Club Acela in Boston South Station now awaiting the 1 PM Express back to New York.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users