#1 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82602 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:19 AM

Analyzing where we might have our meals and where and what we might be eating, here's a synopsis so far.

Sunday, July 14

Dinner aboard Silver Meteor.

Monday, July 15

Breakfast aboard Silver Meteor.

If Jacksonville remains in the picture for you, there is Jacksonville Landing, the one major downtown attraction. It has a food court where one could get lunch. There are also some sitdown restaurants, a consideration since you will also need to have dinner in town due to the long layover.

Tuesday, July 16

Breakfast aboard Silver Star.

Assuming trains remain on time, we have 3-1/2 hours layover in Cary, NC during which we will need to have brunch or early lunch. Currently looking at where that might be, within easy walk of the station. Remember, no real food offered on the Piedmont.

Dinner will be in Uptown Charlotte. This could be a good occasion for our sitdown restaurant dinner, since we are there in the evening. It should not be too late, considering a very early departure next morning. There is also the EpiCentre, adjacent to one of the light rail stations.

Wednesday, July 17

Breakfast if desired, no doubt in cafe car of Carolinian, due to 7 AM departure.

If you choose to layover in Richmond, there are some fast food places for lunch along Staples Mill Road. Dinner would be aboard the Regional train to Norfolk area due to late evening arrival.

Thursday, July 18

Breakfast at or near your hotel.

Lunch at MacArthur Square, a shopping mall with food court. Dinner most likely on Regional train between Newport News and the Washington, DC area.

Friday, July 19

Breakfast at or near your hotel.

Lunch at Washington Union Station. Dinner on northbound Carolinian.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#2 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82602 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:14 AM

We have been looking further into a dinner in Charlotte. This assumes that things go as planned, and we arrive there on the midday Piedmont #75.

After riding the entire LYNX light rail round trip, we come back to Uptown Charlotte. Most of the restaurants are at or near the Epicentre, an outdoor shopping/restaurant/entertainment complex which has a direct entrance from the CTC/Arena LYNX station. The ones not within that complex itself are along the city's two main drags, Tryon Street and Trade Street, with most clustered near where the two meet, Charlotte's "ground zero" and approximately 2 or 3 blocks from the light rail. In this area are such places as Vapiano's (a national chain Italian restaurant), Champion's Sports Bar in the Marriott hotel, and a Ruth's Chris steakhouse and McCormick & Schmick's, both of which may prove too pricey for many of us.

Most of the sitdown restaurants appear to be expensive. In fact some have online menus that don't show prices, which is usually an indication that they are high. Epicentre does include a pizzeria type restaurant, Libretto's, which would give us the choice between sharing pizza pies or ordering pasta dishes at probably a lot less than Vapiano's would charge.

There is also fast food in the Epicentre, such as Five Guys, a hot dog place, a sub place, etc.

Another option may be to visit Golden Corral, which is a national chain buffet restaurant. Those in the New York City & North Jersey area get commercials for it, but there are no nearby outlets. Buffet dining would allow everyone to get what they want, sit together, and we'd surely be able to pay separately since one pays a flat price upon entry, not after eating. Being something I scoped out during my advance trip last September, I would estimate it to be the equivalent of a 3 to 4 block walk from the I-485 LYNX station at the end of the line. We could eat there and then complete our round trip on the light rail later.

Again in Charlotte it's imperative that we don't eat too late or linger around after we eat, as we leave town VERY early the next morning on the Carolinian. A buffet could be the answer as we eat at our own pace, don't have to wait to be served (or get the check --- remember Albuquerque!), and get whatever we want.

But I'll of course leave the matter open for discussion here! :)

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#3 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82602 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:53 AM

As for Cary, NC, again assuming 92 comes in close to schedule and we have ample time in town before we have to catch 75, I found a Serendipity Gourmet Deli, located along Academy Street about 2 blocks south of the station. They open at 11 AM, as would be expected for most places that serve lunch. So we would have to wait until then before we walk over, perhaps taking the food back to the station to ensure we are there to make our next train. Their menu appears to have a good selection of salads, soups, sandwiches, and desserts.

There may be other places too that don't show up on the satellite image I'm using, but this is a good start.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#4 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:38 AM

I saw a Burger King on google maps. It might open a bit earlier than the deli.

#5 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82602 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:04 PM

I saw a Burger King on google maps. It might open a bit earlier than the deli.

I looked at BK's site, and there are 2 of them but both are about a mile south or southeast of downtown.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#6 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:22 PM

There is an Italian restaurant, bakery and deli that opens at 9am that appears to be close to the train station, although I did not see it on the google map.

The name is Roma's and the address is 203 N. Harrison Ave., Carey.

http://www.romasital...directions.html

Edit - I enlarged the google map and found the restaurant, which is a stone's throw (If I had Steve's arm) from the train station.

#7 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82602 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:40 PM

OK Penny, that works too. It's right across the street (Harrison) from the station from what I can see. Seems to be a selection of sub sandwiches, pizza by the slice or pizza pies if multiple people want to share. Like the station, the place sits between the track used by the Silver Star and the one used by the Carolinian & Piedmont, closer to the former.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#8 shanghai

shanghai

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 05:20 PM

I would like to try a Golden Corral. I have seen the ads on TV, but there are none in my area. The deli also looks good.

#9 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82602 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 06:05 PM

I would like to try a Golden Corral. I have seen the ads on TV, but there are none in my area. The deli also looks good.

True, there are none in your area (and as popular as they are I wonder why there are none in NYC nor North Jersey), which is why I drive an hour to South Jersey every few months to go where there is one. The ads are on TV because they are shown on network programs broadcast nationally.

Your votes noted, anyone else?

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#10 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:10 PM

Golden Corral will work. Was that where we ate near cherry hill a few years ago?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users