#1 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82611 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 18 February 2010 - 03:08 AM

A problem has developed regarding getting Amtrak reservations for the Empire Builder on the desired Fest dates. We discussed this on the Sunday Chat of February 14th. If you weren't there or haven't seen the contents of that session, here's the problem and possible solutions.

The issue

Train #27, the westbound Empire Builder from Chicago to Portland on Friday, 7/16/10, currently has all of its bedrooms sold out. That includes all Roomettes, the Bedrooms, and the Family Bedroom. Coach seats still exist, but I doubt many of us would want to endure that.

When I had checked a few weeks ago, everything was still available. The scenarios I had worked out for myself had me going various routes (in Roomette) from Philadelphia to Portland, and all were between $603 and $833 one way coast to coast.

Two of our regulars happened to meet this past weekend and checked the similar conditions, and they found out this bad news. I immediately looked into instead taking Train #7 of Friday 7/16/10, the same train but to Seattle instead. I found that there were very few Roomettes left ( tonight it's down to one! ), and that what still existed was approximately $800 one way, just from Chicago to Seattle. That didn't even include whatever means I would get from Philly to Chicago, be it Capitol Limited from Washington, Pennsylvanian/Capitol via Pittsburgh, or Northeast Regional/Lake Shore Limited via New York. Potentially then, I was looking at a Grand for this trip.... which by the way is solo -- taking Michael at this point is a non-issue.

First thing I did was to look at adjacent dates. There are reasons one cannot toy too much with the already selected dates. 1-2 days might not hurt things too much. But 3-4 days would, and they could potentially place us in a city that has no weekend commuter service (READ Portland and Seattle) on a weekend. There would go those plans. So the days of the week that we start and end the Fest are important.

The solutions

Solution #1 would be to try and quickly snap up the Chicago-Seattle #7 tickets for the 16th out of Chicago. But now that is down to one last ticket, which would be pointless to buy as the rest of the group would be locked out. So stymied at doing the Empire Builder from Chicago on the 16th, I looked at adjacent dates. Saturday 7/17, one day later, also has all bedrooms sold out on #27, and the Seattle section has 4 Roomettes left at $798. On Thursday, 7/15, one day earlier, things may still be possible to go to Portland... but we need to re-evaluate our activities in Portland and Vancouver since we would be a day ahead of the plan. And if things end up working better for taking #7, we could always juggle our visits to the three cities, and do Portland last so that we the return on #28 instead of #8. But again a weekday visit has to mesh with weekdays-only activities such as WES or Seattle's Sounder.

Solution #2 was suggested during our chat session. This would entail taking the westbound California Zephyr (#5) from Chicago to Sacramento, and then the Coast Starlight northbound (#14) Sacramento to Portland. This would require adding one day, brining the total travels from 13 to 14. The latter could be an issue with those who get no more than 2 weeks off from work. We would have the good part of a day to kill in SAC, and then one more overnight train ride from there to PDX. So in this scenario, we'd leave east coast points on Wednesday the 14th, and Chicago on the 15th (Thursday), and then we would still get to Portland on Sunday (albeit in the late afternoon and thus unable to do the intended Sunday activities besides dinner). Everything has its pros and cons.

Solution #3 came to me today, by suggestion of "Lightning" (Mark). His idea was to move the whole fest to another week. I can't go a week later, because it's a no-no at my employer to miss a monthend. I tried a week earlier -- that is, leaving from Chicago on Friday 7/9, and got the same miserable results as I did for 7/16. So that may not work. However, one other idea would be to try doing this in August rather than July. I have yet to research Amtrak's situation, but if the Fest's east coast travel starts on a Thursday as it was to have in July, then the optimum start date would be Thursday, August 12th. I will check Amtrak's inventory for potential August dates. But this raises yet another problem, in that some may have already put in for a July vacation.

Solution #4 would involve doing something that I could get hurt for suggesting. At all of our long July Fests, at least one or two participants have flown to or from the host cities where we were riding trains... Some flew in one direction and did Amtrak in the other. Flying doesn't excite me at all, given the issues with TSA, limitations on what you can bring, and being charged for them to handle your luggage. We may have people in our usual group who for whatever reason CANNOT or WILL NOT fly. I would at a last resort, but I would not be happy being in a tiny seat with no legroom for 6 hours... nor even 2 hours. But it's something to consider if everyone is willing to get themselves to and from the PNW area and then we can just do the rail activities there.

Solution #5 is to change the venue entirely. I would not be pleased in doing this, because I've been comfortable in putting this together... and Mark has helped me a lot so far with the advance footwork needed to make everything just right when we get there. There have been suggestions to move the planned 2011 Atlanta-New Orleans-Memphis trip up a year to 2010 (feasible, as nothing new is going to open in those cities between now and when we intended to go). Another suggestion would be visiting Pittsburgh, PA (with a side trip to Johnstown Incline) and Charlotte, NC (side trip to Raleigh to ride the Piedmont). I've previously had NC and PGH as separate 3-4 day Fests, but putting them together would fill up 7 or 8 days. There would be an overnight layover in either Washington, DC or Philadelphia where we'd stay the night and possibly ride some trains there by choice of the participants. Somebody also suggested dusting off the Rockies RailFest, which I had originally penciled in for 2011, but then I had pushed it back a few years because they have a lot under construction in both cities that we would miss if we went so soon. I say keep that for 2013 to 2015 when we have more rail lines to fill our time.

Let's talk

So this needs some serious discussion. I'll take it here, and I'll take it by e-mail since not everyone visits this board every day. Those who e-mail me I'll put their ideas up on the board to share what they have to say. Hopefully soon we can arrive at a consensus as to what we should do, especially in light of the disappearing Roomettes.

Please add your comments below if you plan to attend, and suggest what you think would be the best of the above alternatives, or even share one of your own.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#2 BillMagee

BillMagee

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 5369 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Rail, Aviation, Sports

Posted 18 February 2010 - 10:55 AM

Variations on the air theme offer some interesting opportunities to take the negative of the sold out Empire Builder and make it into a positive by offering train rides that could not otherwise be included. In other words, if you are willing to spend a couple of hours in a plane, you will get some interesting trips on trains. Another plus: you will save money. Here are two examples for your consideration. The schedules and costs assume a Philadelphia departure (I wonder why?) and were priced Thursday, February 18.

Option Air/Rail 1

Air to Denver, Rail Denver to Portland
This option would allow participants to experience the California Zephyr route through the Colorado Rockies that was missed in 2007. In addition, participants will overnight on the Coast Starlight with the Pacific Palour. This schedule is within the original timeframe of the Fest.

Thursday, July 15:
Fly to Denver: Southwest 766 (non-stop: 4hr, 25min)
- Depart PHL 12:50pm
- Arrive DEN 3:15pm
- $149.70 (includes all taxes, fees)
Overnight Denver (optional, ride Denver RTD)

Friday, July 16
California Zephyr Amtrak 5
- Depart DEN 8:05am

Saturday, July 17
- Arrive SAC 2:13pm
Coast Starlight Amtrak 14
- Depart SAC 11:59pm

Sunday July 18
- Arrive PDX 3:40pm
- Railfare DEN-PDX: $169
- Roomette: (5) $176, (14) $148

Air and rail cost for one person in a Roomette (not including hotel at DEN): $639.40
Air and rail cost for two people in a Roomette (not including hotel at DEN): $961.40

Option Air/Rail 2

Air to Los Angeles, Rail to Portland

With this option, participants will experience nearly the entire route of the Coast Starlight, including the incomparable coastline in California. Dinner will be taken on the Starlight, with the option to dine in the exclusive Pacific Palour car. This may be an unique opportunity to ride the Starlight as part of a rail fest.

Friday, July 16:
Fly to Los Angeles: Southwest 766 (direct flight, stop in Denver: 7hr, 35min)
- Depart PHL 12:50pm
- Arrive LAX 5:25pm
- $173.40 (includes all taxes, fees)
Overnight Los Angeles

Saturday, July 17
Coast Starlight Amtrak 14
- Depart LAX 10:15am

Sunday July 18
- Arrive PDX 3:40pm
- Railfare: $98
- Roomette: $202

Air and rail cost for one person in a Roomette (not including hotel at LAX): $473.40
Air and rail cost for two people in a Roomette (not including hotel at LAX): $744.40

As a postscript, I personally look at air and rail as complimentary travel options. Using air travel offers the opportunity to sample trains that time and money may not otherwise permit. This is what I do anyway, so if using air can preserve the heart of the fest, that's great, and if it can add some stuff that could not be done otherwise, even better.

#3 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82611 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 02:35 PM

Continuing this discussion, we might just consider making the official travels together from Chicago and west. Given the inflated prices, while some may prefer to take the Lake Shore Limited, the Capitol Limited is generally cheaper and its sleeper cost comes down even more if you connect in Pittsburgh with the Pennsylvanian. The amounts I give below are "rack rates"; they are a little less if you apply AAA or NARP discounts. Right now I'm looking at August. A westbound trip on the Empire Builder out of Chicago on Friday, 8/13 to Portland on #27 is possible in Roomettes or Bedrooms (Family Bedroom sold out). Chicago-Portland right now appears to be $558 in Roomette. East Coast to Portland can be had for under $700 in Roomettes, if you go via Pittsburgh, and a little over $700 via Washington. Via the Lake Shore Ltd, the cost in Roomettes across the country is over $900 :rolleyes: . Eastbound I am looking at Train #8 out of Seattle on Saturday, 8/21. A Roomette currently goes for $461 SEA-CHI, and to the East Coast between $600 and $700 depending on which route one takes east of CHI. Bedrooms are still available on the Builder; but again the Family Bedroom is already gone.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#4 Lightning

Lightning

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 03:03 PM

Thanks, Kevin, for all the work you've done on this. If August turns out to be viable, and as I wrote you in my e-mail, one way to cut costs, for instance on the east bound EB, is to travel in sleeper as far as Midway, have an early (free) breakfast, and then switch to coach for the daytime final run into Chicago. I don't know the group, but there may be one who would go coach one night, say on the EB westbound, then switch to a sleeper in time to get dinner the second evening out, a good night's rest the second night, and be refreshed for arrival in Portland.
"Big Green Chauvanist"

#5 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82611 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 11:13 PM

...one way to cut costs, for instance on the east bound EB, is to travel in sleeper as far as Midway, have an early (free) breakfast, and then switch to coach for the daytime final run into Chicago. I don't know the group, but there may be one who would go coach one night, say on the EB westbound, then switch to a sleeper in time to get dinner the second evening out, a good night's rest the second night, and be refreshed for arrival in Portland.

I think that's an impossibility if booking online... and go try to explain what you're doing to a human reservation agent.

I did it once on the Silver Star... booked sleeper Phildelphia to Tampa, and coach Tampa to Miami. Rather than making me move, the attendant let me just stay put for the whole trip.

Just for the benefit of those who don't know... Midway is the station that serves both Minneapolis and St. Paul.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#6 BillMagee

BillMagee

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 5369 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Rail, Aviation, Sports

Posted 19 February 2010 - 12:19 AM

...Just for the benefit of those who don't know... Midway is the station that serves both Minneapolis and St. Paul.

I was wondering when Amtrak started serving MDW. :)

#7 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82611 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 01:17 PM

Considering there were 28 people involved in last year's summer Fest, I've gotten relatively little feedback from this issue. Perhaps introducing you to Solution #6 will get your attention: Solution #6: Stay home, do nothing Now there's a sure money saver! Two people have texted me privately asking me what the decision is, and neither has contributed their ideas or thoughts. The decision will be #6 unless I hear from more people.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#8 jacorbett70

jacorbett70

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 11:55 AM

My group has been busy at work this past week to make up for the snow-related shutdown last week. I am amenable to just about any of the options. I would need notice if it is switched to August so I can put in for the changed vacation schedule. The Pittsburgh and North Carolina options are good on shorter notice since no sleeper accommodations are involved in the fest itself.

#9 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82611 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 02:02 PM

I am amenable to just about any of the options. I would need notice if it is switched to August so I can put in for the changed vacation schedule.

August is a last resort, as I'm sure there are a few with similar situations. I'm not 100% certain I'd be able to change mine either.

The Pittsburgh and North Carolina options are good on shorter notice since no sleeper accommodations are involved in the fest itself.

True, except for those few coming from the Midwest who might wish to travel by train to get there and back. Thanks John.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#10 GG-1

GG-1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 04:11 PM

Aloha I did not respond only because I don't know what my status is. But I intend to participate if Possible. Option 6 is the only bad option for me because in guarantees I do not get time to spend with everyone. And it is such a pleasure to share friends and trains. Mahalo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users