#1 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82607 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 11 March 2010 - 02:09 AM

Please make sure you consult the information on crossing the international border if you plan on visiting Vancouver, BC with us. You will need to pass through Canadian and US Customs. Details here.

If you don't yet have a passport, it's time to get the process going in obtaining one. You can apply online for a passport at this site, or you can download an application to apply in person here.

Edited by KevinKorell, 31 March 2011 - 09:19 PM.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#2 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82607 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 11:53 AM

Please note that you cannot make your reservations for the Cascades trains that cross the border in either direction until you can provide the manner of documentation (i.e. passport) and its identification number. Whether you reserve online or by phone, you'll be asked for it.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#3 jis

jis

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1753 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 01:16 PM

Please note that you cannot make your reservations for the Cascades trains that cross the border in either direction until you can provide the manner of documentation (i.e. passport) and its identification number. Whether you reserve online or by phone, you'll be asked for it.

APIS strikes again :)

#4 GG-1

GG-1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 02:09 PM

Aloha

Amtrak confirmed that a child under 15 only needs a birth Certificate. Evan's mom still intends to get her Passport before July though.

Mahalo for all the updates, etc.
Eric

#5 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82607 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 02:58 PM

Amtrak confirmed that a child under 15 only needs a birth Certificate. Evan's mom still intends to get her Passport before July though.

Eric, double check this with the US CBP and its Canadian counterpart... moreso the latter. They call the shots, not Amtrak. We don't want anyone denied entry.

From experience, I can tell you that a single family member crossing the border with a minor child raises some red flags. I was almost denied entry into Canada when Michael was just 6 years old because I didn't provide information that his other parent approved. This was not a train crossing, but rather we had walked over the Rainbow Bridge in Niagara Falls. So since then, I've had to contact Michael's other biological parent and get a notarized letter from her that it was OK for me to take him out of the country. I showed it aboard the trains when we went into Canada on our 2004 Toronto and 2006 Montreal Fests.

The problem is more leaving the USA than returning since the child lives here. I'm not sure how it works if Grandpa takes Evan over the border, but I would guess that at least one, if not both of her parents will need to send you a notarized letter.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#6 GG-1

GG-1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 03:37 PM

Aloha

Christine planed from first Discussions Just such a notarized letter as they were also considering a trip with Grandma on fathers side. AlanB had an excellent suggestion to include emergency notification information.

My comments below were more to the ticketing information required by Amtrak.

Additionally I am thinking of have her mom do an extra letter, or include in permission letter that Even is participating in a group trip, so if I had a emergency of some sort, there would be a connection to the fest participants.

Mahalo
Eric

Eric, double check this with the US CBP and its Canadian counterpart... moreso the latter. They call the shots, not Amtrak. We don't want anyone denied entry.

From experience, I can tell you that a single family member crossing the border with a minor child raises some red flags. I was almost denied entry into Canada when Michael was just 6 years old because I didn't provide information that his other parent approved. This was not a train crossing, but rather we had walked over the Rainbow Bridge in Niagara Falls. So since then, I've had to contact Michael's other biological parent and get a notarized letter from her that it was OK for me to take him out of the country. I showed it aboard the trains when we went into Canada on our 2004 Toronto and 2006 Montreal Fests.

The problem is more leaving the USA than returning since the child lives here. I'm not sure how it works if Grandpa takes Evan over the border, but I would guess that at least one, if not both of her parents will need to send you a notarized letter.

#7 The Dutchman

The Dutchman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Interests:self-propelled railcar engineering<br />NTSB Reports

Posted 11 March 2010 - 09:52 PM

When I was three years old (this was in the 'fifties, remember) I came through US Customs and Immigration Control and my parents had to sign a Declaration at that point stating that I, as an infant before their very eyes, "was not now and never was a member of the Communist Party." So if you think craziness at passport control is a post 9.11 novelty, reflect on that one! (Hey, at least I didn't have to sign it!).

#8 jis

jis

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1753 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 11:23 AM

When I was three years old (this was in the 'fifties, remember) I came through US Customs and Immigration Control and my parents had to sign a Declaration at that point stating that I, as an infant before their very eyes, "was not now and never was a member of the Communist Party."

So if you think craziness at passport control is a post 9.11 novelty, reflect on that one! (Hey, at least I didn't have to sign it!).

I have certified at least 5 times to various arms of the US government that I have never been a member of any Communist Party. This is easy for me to certify since I have never been a member of any political party before coming to the US, and even though some right wing nuts may think so, so far at least the Democratic Party is not generally considered to be a Communist Party :)

#9 AlanB

AlanB

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 2166 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 01:01 AM

If you don't yet have a passport, it's time to get the process going in obtaining one. You can apply online for a passport at this site, or you can download an application to apply in person here.

Just to be clear, that first link is a paid service agency that will help to expidite getting one's passport. It is not a government run site. One can go to most local post offices and fill out an application and get a passport at far less expense and still receive it in time for the fest.
Alan,

Take care and take trains!

#10 Rumpled

Rumpled

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 12:55 PM

We've had a few problems taking my stepdaughter out of the US. My wife has full custody and carries the court order stating so when we travel. Agents almost invariably want something from the father; which the court order eliminates. We've sent in the child's passport application three times with the court order and it's been rejected each time - even though we are following the rules. It may just involve us taking a full day to go to LA to get her a passport and deal with people who can follow the rules. Will probably still have the problem leaving the US, though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users