• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 GG-1

GG-1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 06:14 PM

Aloha During Chat Sunday there was a comment or to about the cost of visiting the towers in Seattle and Vancouver. Something like expensive, Somehow they don't seem to bad to me, So I am interested.

Edited by GG-1, 08 March 2010 - 06:14 PM.

#2 Lightning

Lightning

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 11:19 PM

Aloha

During Chat Sunday there was a comment or to about the cost of visiting the towers in Seattle and Vancouver. Something like expensive, Somehow they don't seem to bad to me, So I am interested.

If you are referring to the Space Needle, if we have 15, we can get the group rate which is $15.00 instead of the usual $17.00. A "benefit" for me is we can (actually need to) reserve a group rate ahead of time. And hopefully not need to wait on long lines but rather be quickly whisked up the elevator. Otherwise, it might not be possible to do, given time contraints. The view from up top will be well worth the cost. I'll check on the particulars.
"Big Green Chauvanist"

#3 jis

jis

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1753 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 08:45 AM

If you are referring to the Space Needle, if we have 15, we can get the group rate which is $15.00 instead of the usual $17.00. A "benefit" for me is we can (actually need to) reserve a group rate ahead of time. And hopefully not need to wait on long lines but rather be quickly whisked up the elevator. Otherwise, it might not be possible to do, given time contraints. The view from up top will be well worth the cost. I'll check on the particulars.

If it is not raining/drizzling that is :lol:

#4 Lightning

Lightning

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 11:56 PM

If it is not raining/drizzling that is :lol:

Not likely, though. Records reveal that in the 117 years since 1893, it has rained in the city on July 21 [a mere] 11 times. :)
"Big Green Chauvanist"

#5 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82611 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 11 March 2010 - 03:07 AM

Not every moment needs to be spent on trains.... or in restaurants as we often find ourselves in :D .

In our past we have visited towers, or other high structures, which give us an aerial view of the city below. Presumably as a railfan group we're supposed to be looking for trains, or at least the layout of the tracks from this vantage point. We did it at the CN Tower in Toronto in 2004, and we did it at the St. Louis Arch and Dallas Reunion Tower in 2005. We didn't visit such places in Montreal (2006) NoCal (2007) or Florida(2008), and in last year in SoCal if we'd had just another half a day I might have gone up in the Westin Bonaventure to get the Los Angeles vantage point.

This year, we can get our altitude on in each of the three cities. Portland doesn't have a tower with an observation deck, but they do have an aerial tram in the southern part of the city, which runs back and forth in a manner something like New York's Roosevelt Island Tram. The Portland Aerial Tram can be accessed via the Portland Streetcar near the southern end of its route, and it's part of our itinerary for Sunday 7/18. If people don't wish to do this, they can wait in the lower station for the group to arrive back. But we'll get our best views of the Rose City that way (weather permitting). Details about the Portland Aerial Tram are here.

Seattle's Space Needle is the city's icon. Our itinerary on Wednesday, 7/21 allows some time around midday to visit it while at the far end of the Seattle Center Monorail. Should we encounter unexpected crowds, or inclement weather that day is spoiling the view, we can instead plan on visiting it on Saturday, 7/24, which is after the official Fest is over but a day that some will be awaiting their trains or flights home.

Vancouver has a similar tower, called Vancouver Lookout. It's located conveniently near Waterfront Station (served by all SkyTrain lines, as well as the SeaBus and West Coast Express).

There are two other attractions that I visited when I was last in Vancouver back in the 1980's. They have both gotten a lot more expensive since then, but they might be a nice diversion from rail related activities on our free Friday morning before we ride the Canada Line and then make our ways to the rail station for the trip back to Seattle. See if you feel game to do either the Capilano Suspension Bridge or the Grouse Mountain Skyride. At the top of Grouse Mountain (again weather permitting) you can get a wonderful aerial view of the city below. Both can be accessed by public transportation (and use of your DayPass) by taking the SeaBus across from Waterfront Station to Lonsdale Quay, and then a #236 bus to either attraction (The Bridge is first, and the Skyride is at the end of the bus line.)

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#6 GG-1

GG-1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 02:13 PM

Aloha I had the pleasure of visiting the Capilano Suspension Bridge, Words can not describe what you see. Eric

#7 jis

jis

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1753 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 06:41 PM

Yes, I have been to both Capilano and Grouse Mountain and either or both are worth a trip if we can find the time.

#8 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82611 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 11 March 2010 - 07:39 PM

Friday morning in Vancouver is free. I may move the Canada Line stuff up one hour to allow us more time to retrieve luggage from hotels and get through the pre-Clearance, but we still have time before lunch.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#9 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 09:49 PM

I've done grouse mountain, but not the capilano suspension bridge. I would do both if scheduled though.

#10 Lightning

Lightning

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 12:07 PM

If anyone will be back in Seattle on Saturday, there are some fun places to see, depending on interest.

Ferry boat ride on Puget Sound
Water taxi to West Seattle shorefront promenade (views of Seattle)
Pike Place Market (downtown)
Pioneer Square (near King Street Station)
Ballard Locks (mini, very mini Panama Canal, but lots of fun)
University of Washington campus
Arboretum
Discovery Park
Volunteer Park and Capitol Hill
Woodland Park Zoo
Seattle Aquarium (Central Waterfront)
Museum of Flight (Boeing Field)
Chinatown/International District (near KSS)

All can be done Saturday morning/early afternoon with plenty of time to make the eastbound Empire Builder

"Big Green Chauvanist"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users