#1 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:47 PM

With a week to go there's been little to no discussion about where we might have a sitdown meal once the Fest activities are over. Past group trips have revealed the expectation of at least one more leisurely meal to counter the fast food we ingest at other stops along the way.

In New York City, it's tough to find a place that is affordable to all of us, won't be too crowded, and caters to various tastes. While in NYC for our Fest in early 2011, we decided on the Starlight Diner, which is at 9th Avenue & 34th Street, just a few blocks walk from Penn Station. Because it's west of things, we didn't find it too crowded. If I recall we all found something to our liking, and they were able to do separate checks (without the hassle we found in Albuquerque the following summer). Website with menu here. Would this be acceptable?

I think we've done the TGI Fridays a couple of times, but they can get crowded and expensive. One can't however go wrong with the Stage Door Deli as it's also very close by the station. Any other suggestions?

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#2 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 05:35 PM

Starlight Diner looks great to me.

#3 BillMagee

BillMagee

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 5361 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Rail, Aviation, Sports

Posted 12 January 2014 - 07:20 PM

Not sure I can juggle things to get to dinner, but if so, Starlight Diner is fine with me.

#4 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 07:43 PM

Bill, I didn't know you were a juggler, but in New York City, people get dinner for doing far less. :)

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#5 BillMagee

BillMagee

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 5361 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 08:02 PM

I am in the market for a Romex watch, so maybe I could juggle and buy something from a street vender at the same time! :)

#6 nashscan

nashscan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes, Scanning, Amateur Radio, and more.

Posted 13 January 2014 - 12:52 AM

In case anyone was wondering, I called the Skylight Diner to see if they serve wine, and indeed they do.

Edited by nashscan, 13 January 2014 - 12:53 AM.

Preston from Nashville

Nashville needs Amtrak!

#7 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:56 AM

Is the availability of wine really the biggest concern? I hope not. If in fact we have decided this is the best choice, it would be super if somebody other than me could step up to the plate and help out by calling the restaurant to: 1. Confirm whether they still can handle a large group without a wait for seating 2. Find out if they still can do separate checks? Mandatory gratuity understood. 3. Determine how many of the group will be having dinner and make a reservation for that number at a time we can all get there after checking in at our hotels.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#8 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:30 AM

I'm willing to help with this. Though I am not going I I can still call and check this out.

#9 BillMagee

BillMagee

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 5361 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:55 AM

It would be helpful to know the thoughts about the timing for the dinner. Starting at the end of the official day at 4pm in Hoboken, is the plan to have those with hotel reservations to head to their hotels, check in, freshen-up, then meet at the restaurant or at some designated place and time, or is it dinner first, then hotels? I am suspecting the former since that makes the most sense for those staying over. It makes a difference to me since I'm heading home that afternoon/evening and may not want to linger while the group heads to hotels prior to meeting for dinner.

#10 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 01:53 PM

Yeah I'm thinking about 6:00. That gives people time to check-in, dump their luggage, perhaps take a warm shower, and make their way back to a re-meeting point, which I would guess to be somewhere in Penn Station. It will take 10-15 minutes to walk from Penn Station, so either we meet by 5:45 and arrive at dinner at 6, or we meet 6:00 and make the reservation for 6:15. And I'm going to try and determine based on everyone's plans for Saturday (some of the 14 are leaving the group well before we get to Hoboken and NYC) a more realistic number of who will be having dinner. It may very well be only about half that total.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users