MTRF/Dinner in Dallas

10 replies to this topic

#1 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 03:38 PM

We have two night in Dallas. My suggestion would be tohave dinner on Wednesday since we will have spent Saturday-tuesday maintaining a hectic pace and may need down time to rest/relax Tuesday night. Of course I'm flexible.

#2 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 05:07 PM

I have done my yelp research. The help reviews for the spaghetti restaurant were pretty poor. The reviews for sonny Brians smokehouse were also mediocre including one mention of no AC. The other best choices in downtown were located in hotels or on top of reunion tower. The prices were accordingly higher and slightly above what the group usually likes to pay.

I looked further from downtown and discovered Dunstons steakhouse within in walking distance of the Burbank stop which is on the line leading to Trinity Mills. Which makes it convenient for dinner on Wednesday.

Here is the yelp link. https://yelp.to/qTKq/XriFyBuT3D

Here is a link to the menu. http://www.dunstonss...m/our-menu.html

Edited by steve4031, 17 June 2017 - 05:07 PM.

#3 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 17 June 2017 - 06:17 PM

My views are:

(1) If we end up with a Spaghetti place in St. Louis, then obviously that is out for Dallas.   Vice versa would be true too.

(2) Certainly anywhere in our travels would be convenient if it's an affordable place and suitable menu for all.  The itinerary can surely be tailored to anywhere even other than downtown if that is what we go with.  The original and existing itinerary really is just a place-holder until our plans come together.

What do others think about Tuesday?  Should we just be on our own for dinner? Sometimes hotels have deals in their own restaurants for guests of that hotel.  I surmise from past experience that some will still choose to eat in the same place, wherever that might be.  Our plans for Tuesday like other days are not etched in stone and should the Texas Eagle be very late then we will need to take a look at our activities for Wednesday and Thursday and adjust accordingly (like we did in Salt Lake City in 2014).

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#4 AlanB

AlanB

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 2166 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 07:52 PM

Kevin,

Agreed, wouldn't want to do 2 spaghetti places essentially in a row.  As for dinner on Tuesday, I'm OK with the idea of toning things down for that night.   And there is that potential issue of a late arriving Eagle, so it might well be better not to have a reservation setup just in case.  This is not to say that perhaps an impromptu group dinner couldn't be pulled off if everything goes well or at least reasonably well.

Alan,

Take care and take trains!

#5 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 08:05 PM

I think the spaghetti place in St. Louis might be better. I'll also prospect for placed closet to the Amtrak station.

#6 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 04:30 PM

Kevin and I just re-reviwed yelp reviews for Dunstons. We both agree that Dunstons us not a viable option.

What do you all think about YO steakhouse. Here is the yelp reviews. https://yelp.to/qTKq/0hU64k20vE

#7 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 04 July 2017 - 08:12 PM

YO Ranch steakhouse menu --- a little pricey but I'd do it.   YO Ranch is in the West End historic district near the light rail trunk line (all 4 lines stop there).

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#8 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 09:12 PM

2 votes then for YO steakhouse.

#9 BillMagee

BillMagee

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 5361 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Rail, Aviation, Sports

Posted 05 July 2017 - 06:39 AM

Make it three votes for YO.

Just as a heads-up, the dinner prices do not include potato or other starches.  Those cost extra.  That is typical with steak houses.

#10 jis

jis

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1753 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 04:18 PM

YO sounds good. Yeah, it is a somewhat upper class Steak house, so all side dishes are extra.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users