#41 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82602 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 03 July 2015 - 06:36 PM

Aside from our discussion of where to eat dinner, I have today updated my Rails to Restaurants page for Minneapolis to reflect many many changes at Mall of America, as well as modernizing the downtown Minneapolis listings as well (since one of the malls downtown does not exist anymore and another was merged with an adjacent building). I also added the downtown restaurants to list that we have discussed here.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#42 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 05:48 PM

I just received information from a local source that Best Steakhouse is closed for the month of July for the owner's vacation.

I also learned that Republic has enough seating inside to accommodate a group of 12.

#43 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82602 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 08:18 PM

Mall of America is the largest mall in the country. Thus one should expect there will be somewhat of a walk from the light rail station to wherever we go to eat lunch.  We still have about 2 hours at the mall, but this should be taken into consideration when considering whether everyone  can get around or have enough time to purchase and consume their food. 

Here is a .pdf directory listing of the mall:  http://www.mallofame...tory_Retail.pdf

Map of the mall:  http://www.mallofame...om/shopping/map

Edited by KevinKorell, 05 July 2015 - 10:04 PM.
Added link to map of mall

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#44 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 09:39 PM

Most of the restaurants and food court are half way down on the south side of the mall. The light rail station is at the eat end of the mall underneath or on a parking garage. So we will have to walk through part of the parking garage before getting to the entrance.

#45 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82602 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 10:38 PM

Looking at that map, it's interactive so one can drill down to the third floor and then the south area and hold the cursor over the store names to see the eateries and where they are.   If we walk from the east side to the south side that should only be 1/4 way around the mall clockwise plus changing levels by escalator or elevator since we enter on the ground floor but need to go to the third floor for the food court.  It should not take more than 10 minutes to get there. If some wish to eat elsewhere in the mall the walking may be a bit less or a bit more.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#46 BillMagee

BillMagee

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 5368 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Rail, Aviation, Sports

Posted 06 July 2015 - 12:40 PM

Regarding the Saturday dinner impasse, maybe we should formally break into two groups.  One group could go to Old Spaghetti Factory, a long-time OTOL favorite.  A second group could go to Republic or 8th Street Grill to sample a local venue.  From that point onward, the evening would be "off the clock" with participants returning to hotels as desired.  That would seem to satisfy all tastes and may make seating at both of the sites a bit easier.  The option could remain open for someone to go with a Plan C if desired.

#47 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 12:52 PM

Regarding the Saturday dinner impasse, maybe we should formally break into two groups.  One group could go to Old Spaghetti Factory, a long-time OTOL favorite.  A second group could go to Republic or 8th Street Grill to sample a local venue.  From that point onward, the evening would be "off the clock" with participants returning to hotels as desired.  That would seem to satisfy all tastes and may make seating at both of the sites a bit easier.  The option could remain open for someone to go with a Plan C if desired.

Great suggestion Bill.  I would like to be in group two (Republic or 8th Street Grill).  :)

#48 jebr

jebr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 01:04 PM

This sounds like a good idea to me. Could help with the group size some as well.

Edited by jebr, 06 July 2015 - 01:05 PM.

#49 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82602 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 07:44 PM

Everyone hopefully knows I tried.   We're done here.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#50 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 08:10 PM

I think it's best if people just make there own plans. The links in this thread contain all relevant info for each restaurant that's been considered. Yelp can provide the missing information.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users