• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 howardj

howardj

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 10:28 PM

Due to popular demand here are the details of our 6th annual trip south on the Autotrain.

First item of note is that the restrooms inside the Lorton station are closed for remodeling. They have a modular type of structure that house both the men's and women's lavatories. Access is via a ramp that is directly outside the back doors of the station. The building itself is actually right across from the vehicle check in booth. Access is available from 2 sides of the building on the street plus the ramp from the station. The ramp makes it an accessible facility. It was clean and although not nearly as large as the ones in the station seemed to be adequate.

As is our habit we arrived at the station at 10:30 AM for the 11:30 AM check in. We were car #3 in the line. We were surprised that there weren't more vehicles there already and in fact as late as 11 AM there were only about 24 cars in the line. Smooth check in, no problems at all. We were in car 5341 in Bedroom N. We like the 40 & 41 cars because they are on either end of the dining car and my wife doesn't like walking through the cars to the diner any more than is absolutely necessary. Some people don't like the N bedroom because it's a bit oddly shaped and some say it's noisy but we had no problem with either the configuration or any extra noise.

The train pulled out at 3:22, 38 minutes early. There were 42 rail cars, 15 passenger and 27 car carriers. There were 462 passengers and 247  cars of which 25 ( up from 20) were priority unloading vehicles. We were priority unloading #1. Ours was the 2nd car out in Sanford. 

Our room attendant was Annette. She remembered being with us on a previous trip and she couldn't have been more professional or proficient at her job.

This route used to be touted as the best of the best for the crews, service etc. Well, on this trip there was only one lounge car for the entire train and it was 4 cars forward from the diner. The wine tasting is no more. The wine ( comp) at dinner is no more. The china plates are all gone. The food which was quite good in past years was fair at the best. Small portions, luke warm food. Not at all like it was just a couple of years ago.

We were told that we'd arrive a few minutes before 8 AM, a full 90+ minutes early. It didn't quite work out that way because the CSX dispatcher had us either slow way down or stop for other traffic. We pulled in at 8:45. We were allowed off right at 9 AM.  We were pulling out of the station at 9:25.

Even with the negatives, it sure beats driving the 950 miles on I-95!!!

Glad to answer any questions.

Howard

#2 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 16 December 2014 - 12:23 PM

If I recall correctly, each auto rack can carry 10 vehicles. So if they upped the priority unloading privilege from 20 to 25, they might as well have gone to 30, since 5 more vehicles would be in one of the first racks to be unloaded.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#3 howardj

howardj

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 03:57 PM

Since ours was the 2nd car off the train I didn't actually see that there were 25. The Chief that gave all of the stats that I reported said there were 25 priority.

#4 RichieC

RichieC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 05:43 PM

I'm a hybrid Snowbird...not 6 months up/6 down...more like 10 days-2 weeks each month up/down year round on the AutoTrain. Guest Rewards pays for an occasional trip.  Howard: I bet you lived thru the "Banana Debacle"? LOL The old days of 1st class lounge car, wine tasting, good food, not "chinette" that I break every time til they start using plastic sporks(!), which degenerated into paper coffee cups wasn't that long ago. Just when you'd think they couldn't get any cheaper...discontinued BANANAS! (they're back now - slicing oranges on cereal didn't cut it!). Ahhh...remember the ol'daze of steaks cooked to order? Or the crabcakes? Fruit baskets and snacks? I don't get the plummeting quality/amenities when I'm paying more on every trip?!? For $1,400 r/t alone (and when I take the sister & niece, more like $3,500.) you'd expect something!!!  And arriving early is really not good...as the employees come to work the same time no matter...so you'll just sit on the train till the station opens or car guys punch in. But it still beats airports, shuttles, lines, cramped spaces, etc. And I luv the 1 price-fits-all for cars...now I take the Yukon XL LOADED. I remember the lounge car that had glass wrapping over you, and swivel chairs (used rarely as a fill-in). I used to take the American-Orient Express (now defunct) from DC-to-Chicago back in the day too...pulled by Amtrak. Was down for Halloween, Thanksgiving, and will be on the AutoTrain Xmas Eve (down) AND New Year’s Eve (up). LOL I should bring a copy of White Chritmas to play on the computer in the lounge car!!! Remember the scene on the train: "snow Snow SNOW" ????

#5 howardj

howardj

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 08:00 AM

As Maurice Chevalier said to Hermione Gingold " ah yes I remember it well".  I do agree with everything you said. I remember when they had fresh jumbo shrimp in Lorton when you boarded in the lounge cars!!!

Whatever, it's still better than I-95 and dealing with the airlines.

Have a good trip over the holidays. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users