4 replies to this topic

#1 Sloan

Sloan

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 12851 posts
  • Interests:Light Rail & Commuter Rail<br>Passenger Rail Stations

Posted 19 July 2017 - 10:17 AM

A retired electrician and college instructor who wants to see a light-rail system built in Duluth is seeking a seat on the City Council.

http://www.duluthnew...ty-council-race

It would be better to start with streetcar line which can evolve into light rail.  A streetcar line similar to Kenosha would have less infrastructure requirements thereby keeping start-up cost economical.  :)  Sloan

#2 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82319 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 25 August 2017 - 09:44 PM

Here is the candidate's own "platform" (pardon the pun!) in Duluth, MN News-Tribune.   It seems to be his only issue:

Candidate's View: Light-rail loop would better connect Duluth

I have been interested in light-rail transportation for some time. I am proposing a light-rail loop for the city of Duluth; and in order to give my research credibility, I decided to run for City Council At Large.

Continue reading here.

I agree with Sloan that streetcar might be more appropriate here.   A streetcar is by definition a form of light rail, but the writer is delusional if he envisions such trains running "express" -- meaning they skip some stops and only go to large population or employment ridership generators.  A city like Duluth, certainly dwarfed by the Twin Cities in population, might be a candidate for light rail but since there is not much to serve, the vehicles would probably be stopping every few blocks anyhow.  And he wants it to run in a circle, so that one would have to ride pretty far out of their way if the rail line is running the "wrong" direction for them.  Perhaps what might be even better is something like the People Mover in Detroit, which runs on a tight circle in one direction and over city streets. It would cost more than something on the surface but it might be more practical for that size city.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#3 Sloan

Sloan

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 12851 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 09:13 AM

City Council Candidate Wants Light Rail System in Duluth

Nothing new here in this link except a video.

http://www.fox21onli...-system-duluth/

#4 Sloan

Sloan

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 12851 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 01:07 PM

Local View: Consider light rail, but improve bus service in Duluth

As a college student living in the Twin Cities and majoring in transportation planning, I welcome improvements to the Twin Cities' transit system, as traffic congestion worsens and as road construction causes major delays and detours every summer. Our two light-rail lines in Minneapolis and St. Paul have surpassed ridership projections, and development continues around stations.

http://www.duluthnew...-service-duluth

#5 Sloan

Sloan

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 12851 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 08:04 AM

In Response: Light rail idea still worth pursuit for Duluth

I was pleased to read the Sept. 28 commentary in the News Tribune, "Consider light rail, but improve bus service in Duluth." It highlighted many of the objections to the light rail loop plan I proposed for Duluth during my run for City Council. The run ended when I didn't advance through the primary, but my proposal lives on.

http://www.duluthnew...-pursuit-duluth

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users