#1 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82696 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 09 June 2019 - 05:29 PM

Announcing Denver RailFest 2019:  Monday 9/16/19 through Thursday 9/19/19

Denver RailFest 2019 (DRF) will happen over a 4-day period in mid-September.  It represents a return trip to Denver to ride light rail lines or segments that had not been in service when we last visited in 2014, and to ride the three existing commuter rail lines, all of which have opened since our last visit.   The official Fest is just 4 days, just spanning the Amtrak round trip on the California Zephyr between Chicago and Denver, and the parts of 2 days within the Denver area.  Some time together is also being planned for a Toronto trip on July.   Many participants who travel to & from the East Coast might also travel together east of Chicago. In addition, I may also add some personal journeys before and/or after the official 4 days during which anyone is welcome to join.  Those extra trips are still being determined.

We haven't had a Fest in September before, so this will be experimental.  I think the general consensus points to staying away from July dates for hotter weather destinations like Texas.

On the itinerary for this trip, we will ride the entire A, B, and G commuter rail lines, the recently opened extension of the E/F/R light rail lines beyond Lincoln to Ridgegate Parkway, and the entire R light rail line through Aurora.  The homepage for this event includes links to other helpful information.

Being that we are scheduled to arrive in Denver on a Tuesday morning and depart on Wednesday evening, you only will require one night in a hotel on this part of the Fest:

• Tuesday 9/17 (leaving Wednesday 9/18)

Amtrak trains:

• Train #5 departing Chicago on Monday 9/16 and arriving Denver on Tuesday 9/17
  • Train #6 departing Denver on Wednesday 9/18 and arriving Chicago on Thursday 9/19
  • Plus any other trains needed for extra activities out of Chicago, and your trips between your home station and Chicago.

As usual, our participants do not necessarily remain with the group from start to finish.  Folks might leave us early or join us in progress.  If you don't wish to travel all the way to Denver for instance, you might still do something else connecting with us in Chicago.

As we get closer to the event, other helpful documents will become available, such as fare information and our participant list.  You can start to send me e-mail with your planned participation dates.

DRF 2019 promises to be another fun time on the rails for everyone.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#2 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82696 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 09 July 2019 - 01:53 AM

In addition, I may also add some personal journeys before and/or after the official 4 days during which anyone is welcome to join.  Those extra trips are still being determined.

So my determination is as follows:

• Before the official CHI-DEN-CHI round trip, I decided to take a side trip to Milwaukee in order to ride that city's new streetcar.  I plan to arrive in Chicago on Sunday, 9/15 on #29 and then that afternoon take Hiawatha #335 to Milwaukee. Should the inbound Capitol Limited be very late, there is always #337 or #339 later on.  That afternoon/evening I would ride the HOP streetcar.  Monday morning 9/16, Hiawatha #332 back to Chicago, arriving (hopefully) in plenty of time to meet up with everyone for the trip to Denver on #5.
  • After the official Fest trip, I decided I want to do something else new plus complete some unfinished business.  The unfinished business is the RideKC Streetcar, which I did not get to do back in 2017 when I missed the connection with the Southwest Chief and instead later met up with the group in St. Louis. The new is the Delmar Loop Trolley which we didn't ride in 2017 or any other year it was promised because its opening was delayed so many times. Delmar Loop Trolley currently only operates around weekend days and only in the afternoon/evening. So that lends itself to making this trip in the clockwise direction. Therefore, after arrival in Chicago on #6 with the group, the plan is to stay that Thursday evening in Chicago. Friday morning, Lincoln Service #303 to St. Louis, and then do the trolley that evening (using Metrolink LRT to & from). Saturday morning, Missouri River Runner #311 to Kansas City, then RideKC Streetcar that afternoon.  Sunday morning, Southwest Chief #4 from Kansas City to Chicago, then a same day connection to the eastbound Capitol Limited #30.
  • The other option was Michigan, possibly Detroit.  I did get to do this in 2017. The only thing I would have done would be to get personal Amtrak mileage on the Blue Water to or from Port Huron, a triangle tour with Detroit via Thruway bus connecting the two. But it was a nightmare to work that out and avoid poor calling times and/or wasted days in Chicago. So that option was nixed for now in favor of the above two.

My travels in both directions between Philadelphia and Chicago will be via the Pennsylvanian and Capitol Limited, with the short Pittsburgh layovers, which saves me a few dollars and/or redeemed points.  I'm working on a full itinerary including everything I will ride related to transit. Again if anyone wishes to join these segments they are welcome to do so.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#3 BillMagee

BillMagee

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 5375 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Rail, Aviation, Sports

Posted 20 August 2019 - 08:45 AM

Took the liberty of producing a PDF version of the DRF itinerary. Will be updated as needed.

Attached File  DRF Itin.pdf   578.26KB   3 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users