CNJRoss

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 43493 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 07:30 PM

Classic Trains "Mileposts" blog, 5/8/17:

St. Paul Union Depot: a big-city station done right

It’s an understatement to say that big American cities have a mixed record when it comes to finding new uses for their grand train stations. If anything good happens, the emphasis usually is on mere preservation and not transportation.

Some of our best historic terminals have found new life as commercial or cultural institutions. Three of the best examples are Kansas City, Indianapolis, and Cincinnati, all of which have found new missions as commercial properties and museums, even as they still welcome Amtrak passengers — so long as they slip out the back door.

Denver’s lavishly expanded Union Station might be the most exciting revival. It remains a true rail terminal, playing host not only to Amtrak’s daily California Zephyr, but also the city’s burgeoning light-rail and commuter systems, as well as seasonal ski trains to Winter Park. 

Save some applause for another gem: St. Paul Union Depot, known locally as SPUD. This past weekend I found myself marveling at the transformation of this grand old dowager as I mingled with throngs of families and railfans at the fifth annual Union Depot Train Day.

2677.st_2D00_paul_2D00_union_2D00_depot_
The concourse at St. Paul Union Depot bustles with activity during the second annual Union Depot Train Day on May 6. Kevin P. Keefe photo

Continue here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users