• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 AlanB

AlanB

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 2166 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 10:55 PM

While Amtrak didn't make a huge fanfare for the final run of the name brand Metroliner, it nonetheless did retire with a bit of recognition from Amtrak employees. I met Robert (rmadisonwi) early this afternoon at Jamaica near the AirTrain exit, just past Noon. After giving Robert a partial tour of the NYC subway system, we arrived into NY's Penn Station just before 5:00 PM and settled into the Club Acela Lounge. Side note: The lounge is now offering free WiFi service, instead of the high priced AT&T service. Just about 5:45 or so, the lounge attendant announced our train and he did make note during that announcement that this was the final run of the Metroliner service. As Robert and I were walking through the main station on our way to the platform, the announcer proceeded to make the first announcement to the masses. He too made note of this small, but important historic event, the retirement of the revered Metroliner name. Robert and I boarded our reduced size First Class car to find that we had two attendants. Our primary server was Mr. Johnson, who also made a short speech starting just prior to and continuing during our departure. Mr. Johnson also made note of the fact that this was the last run of a regularly scheduled Metroliner. It seems to me that the Conductor also made note of that during his speach out of NYP, but I'm not positive, perhaps Robert remembers. Oddly enough we didn't seem to have menus for our last trip and Mr. Johnson had to run down our choices during his speech. I can't say enough about Mr. Johnson and his service to us. He was without a doubt one of the best attendants that I've had the pleasure of meeting on my many Metroliner/Acela trips. Oddly enough though, this is the first time that I recall ever meeting Mr. Johnson, but I surely hope that it won't be my last. I don't know if it was chance, his regular rotation, or the smart move by someone in Amtrak headquarters to ensure that Mr. Johnson was on this final run, but he definately made the trip more pleasurable. I wish that I could recall the name of the second attendant, whom oddly enough Mr. Johnson informed us was in training. :blink: Go figure, Amtrak training someone to use a car that will no longer see service in the format that it was originally intended for, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised. His service also was good, although we didn't see near as much of him since his primary responsibility was working the kitchen. The final run sadly was not on time thanks to the failure and breakdown of an Amtrak train near Trenton. While we never actually stopped, we definately were not running at track speed from about Princton Junction to just past Trenton. I'd say that we were running much closer to an average speed of maybe 30 to 40 MPH, although it is hard to guestimate that in the dark. Despite our on time departure, we were 26 minutes late into Philly and we would never recover that time. The final run of a Metroliner will sadly go down in the history books as a late train, since our arrival into DC was 31 minutes late at 9:30 PM. :( Just after our departure from Wilmington, Robert and I walked forward to meet up with Adam (The Metropolitan at Amtrak Unlimited) in the cafe car. Turns out that Adam was actually sitting in the quiet car ahead of us, so we walked right past him. Shortly after we settled into a table in the cafe car to talk, yet another railfan Bruce managed to find us also, so the four of us sat at the table to just prior Baltimore. We broke at that time, since Adam was detraining in BAL. Robert and I returned to the FC car and relaxed for the last few miles and our ride into history. Robert and I parted ways in DC, with Robert looking to board the North bound Train #66, and me looking for the Metro and a ride to my hotel for the night, which is were I'm posting from right now. All and all, a very nice albiet late ride, but even without considerable fanfare I'm glad that I made the trip to retire the Metroliner name. The final consist was: Train 2301 AEM-7 947 Coach 44724 Coach 44706 Food 43361 Coach 44708 Quiet Car 21792 First Class (club-dinette) 48182 Note: The first class car was not the traditional and typical 32 seat car that has run over the past years, but a converted former FC car that seats 15 now largely used as business class cars throughout the Amtrak system.
Alan,

Take care and take trains!

#2 BillMagee

BillMagee

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 5361 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Rail, Aviation, Sports

Posted 28 October 2006 - 02:15 PM

It is a shame to have the Metroliner brand disappear. That train, in its original incarnation, changed the face of travel in the Northeast Corridor. In fact, that train established the Northeast Corridor as the Northeast Corridor. The original Metroliner was launched on January 16, 1969. It was run by the Penn Central but was funded by the Federal government. The original MU trainsets had a host of technical problems that delayed revenue service for months, but were hugely popular with passengers (sounds strangely familiar). The sleek, tubular design, intentionally mimicking the look of a jet airliner, was a quantum leap ahead from the old, boxy, often dirty PC passenger cars. The premium for Metroliner was only a dollar or two each way, and the trains often sold out days in advance. For the first time in a long time, New York to Washington had a rail option that rivaled air. I took my first Metroliner ride in 1969 and was won over immediately Sadly, the original Metroliner MU’s – the REAL Metroliners for us purists – were so troubled that Amtrak wisely substituted regular AEM7’s and Amfleets for what was called Metroliners in the early 1980’s. The MU’s were relegated to the Harrisburg service and then parked with many scrapped. A few were converted to cab cars and were used on the Atlantic City trains, the old San Diegans, and elsewhere. Only those cab cars live on. So, here’s to the old Metroliners. Maybe those attending next month’s Keystone Excursion can sit in the cab car and think of the history that car represents and offer a toast: Pepsi, of course.

#3 EvergreenRailfan

EvergreenRailfan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2870 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 03:36 PM

Sadly, the original Metroliner MU’s – the REAL Metroliners for us purists – were so troubled that Amtrak wisely substituted regular AEM7’s and Amfleets for what was called Metroliners in the early 1980’s. The MU’s were relegated to the Harrisburg service and then parked with many scrapped. A few were converted to cab cars and were used on the Atlantic City trains, the old San Diegans, and elsewhere. Only those cab cars live on.

So, here’s to the old Metroliners. Maybe those attending next month’s Keystone Excursion can sit in the cab car and think of the history that car represents and offer a toast: Pepsi, of course.

It is sad to see the Metroliner go. Sadly, I only had the chance to at least see the Metroliner once. When my family decided for the fun of it to take a train trip cross-country to D.C, we were transfering from the Broadway Limited to a regional at 30th Street Station, we saw a Metroliner going by on another track. It had a different paint job to announce it as the Metroliner. Unfortunately, I was not much of a shutterbug at the time, so I did not have any pictures of it.

Now, weren't their other attempts to use the Metroliner Brand in other areas, such as New England and San Diego?

#4 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82319 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 28 October 2006 - 03:46 PM

Now, weren't their other attempts to use the Metroliner Brand in other areas, such as New England and San Diego?

Yes, they tried the Metroliner name for one of the SAN DIEGAN runs, but it was short-lived. There's only so much extra speed and luxury you can attain with single track, curves, and standard equipment. So it skipped a couple of stops... but it never caught on.

New England had some Metroliner service but under different names. Remember that until the Acela program, electrification only ran as far north as New Haven. One Metroliner per day ran beyond New York City to New Haven, and returned south the next morning. Amtrak also experimented with a train called the New England Express that ran all the way up to Boston, but it was with standard Amfleet I equipment and again it was in diesel territory and it skipped some stops. As I recall it did not run through to/from Washington but it was strictly New York-Boston.

Ironically, Metroliners themselves never made it to Boston until after they were supposed to have been retired the last time. In 2005 the Metroliner fleet had to be reassembled from around the country to fill in for Acela Express service when the latter was pulled from service for several months.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#5 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82319 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 28 October 2006 - 03:49 PM

A few were converted to cab cars and were used on the Atlantic City trains, the old San Diegans, and elsewhere. Only those cab cars live on.

Your best bet of seeing them here on the east coast is on the VERMONTER.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#6 EvergreenRailfan

EvergreenRailfan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2870 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 03:55 PM

Yes, they tried the Metroliner name for one of the SAN DIEGAN runs, but it was short-lived. There's only so much extra speed and luxury you can attain with single track, curves, and standard equipment. So it skipped a couple of stops... but it never caught on.

Good thing that they never tried the same with the Mount Ranier. Before the TALGOs arrived, the train would not have worked at 79MPH let alone 110MPH with Amfleets and Superliners. Although both are geared for high speeds, the curves can be brutal. They have never tried using either the Metroliner name or skipping stops on the Amtrak Cascades. A non-stop train Seattle-Portland would not work, as the current services try to keep station dwell times to under 5 minutes if possible. It would not be worth the effort or money to try such a service up here at the time.

#7 bill haithcoat

bill haithcoat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 08:22 AM

Glad you guys had an enjoyable--if late---last metroliner run. Hope Mr.Johnson, with all his skills, has many years ahead on Amtrak in whatever kind of service.Amazing how, sometimes when an employee is good, he/she is really good. Guess we all remember a few like that. I actually got to ride the original metroliners years ago. It was in the context of an ATl to NYC trip on the Crescent. But, established at my hotel in NYC, I actually duplicated my Crescent NYC-WAS mileage and rode the Metrolineir round trip in one day from NYC to WAS, still based in my hotel. I don't think I even took any luggage with me. Back in those days we did not have to be paranoid about looking suspicious. All in a day's fun!! Guess I wanted to have my cake and eat it too.

#8 Sam Damon

Sam Damon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1062 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 10:35 PM

Likewise, I'm glad yunz guys had an enjoyable run. My only run with the original Metroliner MUs was in January 1980, between WAS-PHL. Robert Scolaro, the now passed-away US Capitol ticket agent, sold me the ticket. Instead of riding the Broadway Limited back, I talked my parents into picking me up at Harrisburg, so I could also ride Silverliners. My most vivid memories of the Metroliner MU ride was the high speed, and somewhat choppy motion on the NEC. I remember thinking at the time: "this is SOO cool."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users