Albuquerque Amtrak Editorial

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 RailRunner1

RailRunner1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Interests:Bicycling, Hiking, Visiting historic and archeological sites, Travel, Reading

Posted 13 February 2007 - 08:59 PM

This is an editorial from the Albuquerque Tribune about the sorry state of Amtrak in Albuquerque, the station in particular.

The signs, however, do not look good. Compared with the new transportation building next door, the little Amtrak shack looks more vulnerable than ever.

The Amtrak station sits in the middle of the new Alvarado Transportation Center at 1st and Central Ave. There are new city bus and Greyhound bus terminals on either side of it with the new RailRunner station just behind it.
The Center is built in the California mission style of the historic Alvarado hotel that sat on this site until it was torn down in the 1970's. It is a source of civic pride and the Amtrak shack (accurate description by the writer) is a real eysore. It is a symbol of the irrelevance of Amtrak in the Albuquerque transportation scene.

How long will we have Amtrak in Albuquerque?

#2 EvergreenRailfan

EvergreenRailfan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2870 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 09:20 PM

I wonder, would it be possible for the city to find a way to fund fixing it up? I mean, what it took to begin the 2nd phase of renovations of King Street Station was agreeing on the sum of the transfer, which was a paltry $1. Although perhaps it would be better to have something new to replace an Amshack.

#3 RailRunner1

RailRunner1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Interests:Bicycling, Hiking, Visiting historic and archeological sites, Travel, Reading

Posted 13 February 2007 - 09:56 PM

I wonder, would it be possible for the city to find a way to fund fixing it up? I mean, what it took to begin the 2nd phase of renovations of King Street Station was agreeing on the sum of the transfer, which was a paltry $1. Although perhaps it would be better to have something new to replace an Amshack.

The city and state have shown the willingness to get transportation projects done. Most of the major transportation improvements have been done in the last five years or so. Mayor Chavez is particularly agressive in getting funding for these projects. Amtrak has not shown much enthusiasm over the years for improvements to the station. Since they only run two trains through here every day, why would they?

The Greyhound station used to be located across the street. They gave the land to the city in exchange for a new terminal in the Alvarado Center. The old land will be used for retail and condominiums. Amtrak may be stuck with their current site since it has to be near the tracks and the RailRunner station.

If Amtrak is to turn things around in this market, they should start with the station. Then they could try improving service in the region.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users