In a nutshell:
- NARP's Board passed a resolution in July to support the California HSR project and their decision to build the first segment between Bakersfield and Fresno.
- It was announced by the USDOT that over $336 million in funding will go to equipment purchases to run on rail corridors in Indiana, Oregon, California, Illinois, Michigan, Missouri, and Iowa.
- USDOT and Pennsylvania agreed that 3 grade crossings in that state will be closed in 2012, allowing Keystone Service speeds to increase to 125 mph.
- NARP is unhappy with Amtrak's handling of the eastbound Capitol Limited possible service disruption which would be enacted if the train leaves Cleveland after 3:30 AM. NARP criticizes the decision to not provide eastbound service between points east of Pittsburgh and Washington, DC. Taxis should have been provided for these passengers on days when the train would terminate in Cumberland.
- Possible bustitution on eastbound Capitol Limted (see above)
- Lynchburg-Roanoke-Blacksburg bus connection started, connecting with Lychburg Regional train.
- Westbound Pere Marquette runs 90 minutes earlier 8/15/11 through 9/1/11.
- CSX trackwork in North Carolina affects Palmetto and Carolinian, resulting in rescheduled or cancelled trains, or trains running in shorter segments.
- Saratoga & North Creek Railway has two round trips 5 days a week that connect at Saratoga Springs, NY with the Ethan Allen Express.